[ food and books for a sweeter life ]
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) whipping cream
- 500 ml (17 oz) milk
- 1 fresh vanilla pod
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 5 gelatine leaves
- 250 g (9 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 1 liquorice-pod (or concentrated liquorice-extract)
- 425 g (15 oz) caster sugar
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) water
- 2 l (3 ¼ pint) fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, currants, gooseberries, blackberries)
- Simmer the cream, milk and caster sugar with the seeds from the scraped out vanilla pod. Add the vanilla pod as well.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and remove the vanilla pod.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze out the water from the gelatine melt the leaves in the warm cream mixture.
- Whisk in the mascarpone cheese.
- Fill up 10 glasses with the panna cotta mixture and put them in the refrigerator until they have set completely, at least for 5-6 hours, preferably over night.
- Mix the liquorice, caster sugar and water until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the berries and leave to marinate.
- Serve the panna cotta with the marinated berries.